Foodpicker.org sure was buzzing today! Here is a question I received:
I have a sweet tooth at night. I like to reward myself after a hard day at work with a bowl of ice cream before bed. Is this ok to do since I now have diabetes?
ANSWER: A reward for a hard day at work is something we all enjoy! A bowl of ice cream sounds like a nice reward too A bowl before bed isn’t a problem if you keep the following in mind:
1) Be smart about portion size - 1 serving of ice cream is usually half a cup, providing you with a significant amount of calories, fat, sugar and carbohydrates. Now, I know we all probably work hard all day long, but keep your rewards for extra special occasions.
2) Don’t eat too late! Depending on when you go off to bed, 9 PM is usually a good cut-off hour.
3) To help with ice cream choices, consider these further suggestions:
- Look for lowfat or light ice cream, they are lower in calories, fat, carbohydrates and sugar.
- Limit ice creams that are high in fat and carbs – typically those with syrups, cookies, fudge and other toppings.
- Low fat yogurt is a yummy alternative that comes in many different flavors!
- A small ice cream cup or ice cream sandwich is another perfect alternative that is small in size – Gotta love those little Hoodsie cups and mini ice cream sandwiches!
4) Remember, ice cream isn’t the only thing that can fix a sweet tooth craving. Try eating some fresh fruit salad, lowfat yogurt or a cup of sugar-free jello or pudding.
Here are some ice cream products that are out there to help your sweet tooth and keep your blood sugar on track too!
Skinny Cow – Sugar free Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich – I was actually in Costco the other day and this was a sample I had a chance to try. Really delicious and you can’t even tell that the ice cream is sugar free!
140 calories, 2 g of fat, 5 g of sugar, 30 g carbs
Breyer’s has a few different products. I can remember eating Breyer’s ice cream with my late grandfather, who had Type 1 diabetes when I was little. It’s incredible how many more options they have on the market these days!
Breyer’s Carb Smart
- Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream – 1/2 cup serving provides 90 calories, 6 g of fat, 13 g of carbs and 4 g of sugar
- Fudge Bars – 1 bar provides 100 calories, 7 g of fat, 9 g of carbs, 3 g of sugar
Breyer’s Smooth and Dreamy – No Sugar Added
- Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice Cream – 1/2 cup serving provides 90 calories, 4 g of fat, 15 g of carbs and 4 g of sugar
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream – 1/2 cup serving provides 110 calories, 6 g of fat, 15 g of carbs and 4 g of sugar
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie – 1/2 cup provides 90 calories, 1.5 g of fat, 20 g of carbs and 4 g of sugar